Manohar Singh

Extrajudicial Execution on April 17, 1993

Male, age 26



High school




Rice mill


Sikh, Amritdhari


Abduction, Detention, & Torture

Prior detentions

Yes, 6-7

Prior torture


Perceived reason for targeting victim

Victim was a militant

Abduction preceding extrajudicial execution

Yes, between March 29, 1993 and April 1, 1993

Place of abduction

Friend/relative’s residence, in Kolkata, West Bengal

Witness(es) to abduction

Parents; Sibling; Cousin; Aunt/uncle

Security officials informed witnesses about destination


Security officials uniformed


Demands by security forces


Victim presented before judge/magistrate


Detention Locations


Police station, Dinanagar, 15+ days, witnessed by relative

Witness report

Victim reported torture, including insertion of hot peppers in wounds in thighs, and could not stand

Extrajudicial Execution on April 17, 1993

Body Disposal

Body returned


Body disposal by security forces

Cremated the body

Cremation location

Municipal cremation ground, Gurdaspur

Security Forces Implicated

Forces involved in abduction

Officials involved in abduction

Jaswinder Singh, Station House Officer, Punjab Police, Dinanagar

Jarnail Singh, Sub Inspector, Punjab Police, Dinanagar

Forces involved in extrajudicial execution

Officials involved in extrajudicial execution

Prem Kumar, Station House Officer, Punjab Police, Gurdaspur

Militancy Involvement

Militant alias




Reason(s) for joining militancy

1984 Indian Army attack on the Harmandir Sahib; Persecution (i.e. arbitrary arrest, torture, self-defense)

Remedies & Impact

Security officials approached


Legal remedies pursued

No, Afraid of retaliation, Believed it would have been ineffective

Impact on family

Family member(s) dropped out of school, Family abandoned home, Family member(s) died due to depression/shock, Family became impoverished

Remedies desired from government

Memorial for victims

Connected Victims

Genuine encounters in family


Co-victims of abduction


Co-victims of extrajudicial execution

Family Reflections

Sibling, in detention with him at Dinanagar police station: When I would ask him, he would say, “I have been beaten very badly and they are going to kill me. They want to kill you as well, so they are planning to kill you. However, I am begging them to kill me but not to kill you as you are a child.”


Manohar Singh, also known as Haneri, was a Saini, Amritdhari Sikh, and a resident of village Kahnuwan. He was 26 years old at the time of his killing. Manohar Singh had graduated from 10th grade, and worked at a family-owned rice mill. Narinder Singh describes his brother as a “very good natured” individual whom people “still remember.”

Security officials detained and tortured Manohar Singh six to seven times prior to the detention leading to his killing. The local Station House Officer (SHO) targeted Manohar Singh’s family because his dad had protested illegal police abductions in his village. Manohar Singh’s brother, Narinder Singh, recounts: “[SHO] Bisambar [Das] was angry with my father over this. He held a grudge, and two to three months later, Bisambar Das abducted my brother Manohar Singh...They beat him very badly.” Narinder Singh added that after multiple illegal detentions and experiences of torture, “[f]ed up with the police’s beatings, Manohar Singh joined the militancy.” Manohar Singh voluntarily joined the Babbar Khalsa militant group as a response to his personal persecution and Operation Bluestar--the Indian Army attack on the Harmandir Sahib Complex in June 1984. Narinder Singh believes security forces subsequently targeted his brother because he was a militant.

Prior to the detention leading to Manohar Singh’s killing, the family faced harassment of security officials visiting their home, abducting and detaining family members, threatening them with harm, demanding money or valuables, confiscating or destroying property, and torturing them. Narinder Singh explains, “When Manohar Singh was away from home, police severely beat me, my older brother, and my father. They held my father in police stations for one year. They came to our home and insulted our mother. This continued for a long time. I had to drop my studies.”

Between April 1, 1993 and April 3, 1993, four to five Punjab Police officials, in civilian clothes, from Dinanagar police station arrested Manohar Singh from his uncle’s house outside of Punjab. They had abducted Narinder Singh, detained and tortured him for 8 to 10 days, and then brought him with them to his uncle’s house. His uncle lived in Kolkata, West Bengal, near Andal town in Paschim Bardhaman district. Sub-Inspector (SI) Jarnail Singh and SHO Jaswinder Singh, all affiliated with the Punjab Police from Dinanagar police station, led the abduction. Manohar Singh’s parents, sibling, cousin, and uncle witnessed the abduction, and the security officials informed the witnesses that they were taking Manohar Singh to Dinanagar police station.

Punjab Police officials detained Manohar Singh and his brother at a police station in Delhi, and then Dinanagar police station for more than 15 days. Narinder Singh recounts, “[Manohar Singh] told me, ‘They cut my legs apart. [They] cut open my legs with a cutter, and put hot peppers in [the wounds]. They humiliated [me] a lot.’” Punjab Police officials demanded money in exchange for Manohar Singh’s release.

On April 17, 1993, at 1 o'clock in the morning, Punjab Police officials from Gurdaspur police station killed Manohar Singh in the village fields in Dorangla town in Gurdaspur district. Punjab Police also killed two other individuals alongside Manohar Singh. One of the co-victims is identified as Baldev Singh, a resident of Dorangla town in Gurdaspur district. Narinder Singh was awake when the police took Manohar Singh and Baldev Singh out of their cells. SHO Prem Kumar of the Punjab Police from Gurdaspur police station participated in the killing. The family does not know of any witnesses to the killing.

Manohar Singh’s family learned of his killing from an article published in a newspaper between April 18, 1993 and April 19, 1993. The newspaper article alleged that police killed Manohar Singh in a genuine encounter.

Punjab Police officials did not return Manohar Singh’s body to his family. The family learned that the security officials cremated his body at a municipal cremation ground in Gurdaspur city and collected his ashes from there. The family does not know the date of cremation, or any other details about Manohar Singh’s cremation.

Following Manohar Singh’s killing, the family did not approach security officials, or a court or commission, due to fear of retaliation and because they believed it would have been ineffective. As a result of of Manohar Singh’s killing, someone in the family died due to depression or shock; they faced a significant loss of income and became impoverished; someone dropped out of school; and the family abandoned their home. The family also faced subsequent harassment of security officials visiting their home, insulting them, threatening them with harm, and confiscating or destroying their property. Today, the family believes the government should provide a memorial for victims.

Note: Subdistrict and district boundaries are based on the 2001 census. Read more about our methodology.